Pink Diamond

A sketch a day keeps the voices away.

9.30.2005

Cigarettes and Old Books




This past Tuesday night, my friend Vanessa took me to this figure drawing session being held in the warehouse district downtown. It was held in someone's (awesome) loft, 10pm-2am; a 4 hour pose in 20-30 min sessions. Costumed models and good music (along with bitchin views of the city) made for a nice evening. I'll have to come back again next week, if I can keep my eyes open past 11! The theme from last week was, "cigarette girl." Just some different styles...I could not, however, do the curly-haired model justice, so she turned into a creepy old woman in my drawing :( Poo.

On the literary front, (well...sort of) I have been trying to listen to "Wicked" the novel by Gregory Maguire, on someone's iTunes at work. It started out strong, but quickly spiraled into an abyss of unending conversations about philosophy. Maybe it was just the fact that it was a book on tape, and I wasn't free to read at my own pace, but by the end it was Wicked vs. me, in an epic battle of will:
Me: "I swear to God, you will TURN AROUND AT THE LAST MINUTE AND BE INTERESTING!"
Book: "No!"
Me: "Then I have no choice but to LISTEN TO YOUR NEXT INTERMINABLE CHAPTER!"

In the end, it was a draw I suppose, because the entire book wasn't loaded yet, and it turned out the first 25 segments were just part I, but man, what a disappointment. But maybe I'm judging unfairly. Perhaps I'll give the actual book a go once I have a little time to read.